Zocor: Drug Side Effects
Zocor: Educate Yourself on Drug Side Effects
Virtually every medication has it’s side effects. The intensity of these side effects can, however, differ from patient to patient. While some may suffer no ill effects to taking a specific drug, others can have moderate to severe adverse reactions. The same can be said of Zocor or Simvastatin. While some patients administered the drug suffered no negative reactions, others suffered from debilitating and in some cases, life threatning, loss of muscle.
Simvastatin is from the family ‘statins.’ Thus, its incidence of causing affects like damage to muscle and liver are not rare. The major effect seen on drugs from statin family is by causing alterations in the reading of liver tests, which is why experts repeat such tests periodically to ensure correct results. Such liver tests are significant when the 80 mg dose of statin is prescribed. The tests should be undertaken after three months of starting the drug and then periodically after this to ensure protection and monitor health and functionality of liver.
Zocor (simvastatin) is a cholesterol-lowering medicine that may induce some common side effects which may start with headache, constipation, nausea, and mild consistent pain in abdomen. A person should contact their healthcare expert before such incidences turn severe. The occurrence of diarrhea and abnormal results in liver tests are also prominent. Hypertensive reactions that are triggered as an aftereffect of this medication are also noticeable.
Side effects by Zocor can be categorized as less severe and serious side effects. Just to help patients get educated, here’s a quick run through the same.
The less serious effects of Zocor:
- Pain in joints
- Feeling of nausea
- Consistent pain in abdomen
- Insomnia or problem in sleeping
- Hypersensitive reactions
- Cold symptoms like sneezing, stuffy nose and sore throat can also occur.
- Mild skin rashes and allergies are noticeable.
The more serious side effects of Zocor:
- Severe allergic reactions like rashes, itching, and hives are visible.
- Difficulty in breathing may also be noticed.
- Swelling that is seen prominently on face on areas like lips, tongue and mouth is prevalent among patients.
- Tightness and pain in the chest may be seen.
- Dark color of urine, pale stools, and severe abdominal pain.
- Swelling, skin redness, skin blistering, and skin peeling are common.
- Yellowing of eyes and skin is also seen.
- Tenderness, weakness, and unexplained pain in muscles.
- Feeling unusually tired.
- Pain and burning while urinating.
- Edema, weight gain and less urination.
- Loss of appetite.
- Incidences of persistent diarrhea, dyspepsia (lack of thirst), flatulence and asthenia are also prevalent among people on Zocor administration.
Side effects those are rare in incidence:
Rhabdomyolysis, a condition caused due to severe muscle breakdown, which can lead to loss of myoglobin(a muscle protein) in the blood stream can also be caused by Zocor. Myoglobin’s release in blood can further cause kidney damage and even turn fatal. Although rare, but incidences of such severe complications still have been noticed. Patients on this medication should immediately inform their doctor about any such condition to avoid the same from turning uncontrollable.
Result of lab tests:
Persistent increase in hepatic transaminases, a liver enzyme, was marked, elevations in the level of γ-glutamyl transpeptidase and alkaline phosphatase was reported among adults administering Zocor. The increase in levels of CK, which was thrice as normal, was also seen. This was, however, seen in the non-cardiac part of CK.
In adolescent people (aged 10-17 years)
The results were obtained after a study of 48 weeks. Most common effects were seen in both girls and boys in the form of headache, RTI or respiratory tract infection, nausea and pain in abdomen.
The final view
People should always be aware that the doctor prescribes medication only when the benefits they produce overweigh the side effects that can be seen. So, keeping the doctor informed about any unusual condition is needed. When a person notices any side effects that persist even after few days contacting the healthcare experts seems undeniable.
So, people getting thoroughly educated about the good and the bad points are needed. Being educated can help greatly in reducing the incidences of negative effects and can thus decrease the number of people getting affected.