Zimmer Knee Implant Complications
The Zimmer knee implants are used in knee replacement surgeries to give patients relief from problems of knee joints. Zimmer offers a minimally invasive solution through many Zimmer knee components. They have been developed as per requirements for minimally invasive surgery. Zimmer MIS Solutions are designed to facilitate implantation through a smaller incision so that muscles and tendons around the knee are not damaged. These knee components are used to give patients a relaxed and better life.
The Zimmer NextGen CR-Flex Porous Femoral Component is one of the knee implant component from Zimmer. It is a non-cement piece, which is attached to the bottom of the thighbone. It is linked with several implant problems and a high rate of implants failure. It is said to have a 9% rate of implant failure. This high rate of implant failure is said to be due to design problems with the Zimmer NextGen CR-Flex replacement knees.
There has been a constant demand for Zimmer NexGen knee replacement recall from doctors and patients in a similar fashion. Many patients having these implants have complained of pain and loosening of their Zimmer NexGen knee replacement. A study has been conducted in this regard involving 108 knee replacement surgeries using the Zimmer NexGen CR-Flex Porous Femoral Component. 9 patients were found to have a requirement of revision surgery and 39 patients had radiographic loosening knee implants.
Zimmer has also faced allegations over its Durom Cup hip implants. It was temporarily recalled in 2008. Zimmer in case of hip implant was accusing surgeons and patients, who have undergone the implant surgery, for the failure of implant. But later it has to recall the product. In the case of knee component too, it is shifting the responsibility on the doctors and patients for implant failure.
Zimmer Knee Implant Problems
The Zimmer NexGen CR-Flex is different from other implants as it is a non-cement implant, which is attached to the thighbone. Many patients have complained of problems after going through Zimmer knee implant. Following problems are the most common problems experienced by patients having Zimmer knee implant.
- Knee Replacement Failure
- Loosening of Replacement Knees
- Other Knee Complications and Knee Pain
All these problems restrict patients from leading an active day-to-day life. If a patient having Zimmer knee implant experience knee stiffness, knee pain, limping, decreased range of motion in the joint and difficulty putting weight on the knee, it may be sign of loosening of implant.
Knee replacement could lead to following complications-
- Infection- The knee implant surgery could result into infections; hence a lot of care is needed after surgery. Though there are many cases of infection evident.
- Knee stiffness- Some patients may experience knee stiffness. It means knee does not return to its normal position after surgery. It may be due to loosening of implant.
- Thrombophlebitis – some patients can even suffer from Deep Venous Thrombosis (DVT). In this condition blood clots are formed in veins, but it is due to problematic surgery.
- Heart attack and stroke and Nerve damage could also occur due to clotting of blood as a result of faulty surgery.
- Limping- some patients may experience limping due to loosening of the implant.
- Acute pain could also result due to loosening or not fitting of implant.
- Some patients may have implant failure too.
Risk of knee replacement failure is higher with Zimmer knee implant. Zimmer implants are said to have a faulty design hence it is associated with higher risk of implant failure and other related problems.
Zimmer NextGen CR-Flex Knee Failure
The Zimmer NextGen CR-Flex Porous Femoral knee is associated with a higher risk of implant failure. Doctors opined that rate of failure of this implant is so high that it is unacceptable. There are evident proofs of its being associated with loosening of the implant requiring revision surgery. It has also a higher rate of implant failure.