Yaz, Yasmin is the brand name for drospirenone. Yaz, Yasmin is an oral contraceptive pill. It is used by women for birth control. It stops ovulation, that is release of an egg from an ovary in a woman. It also thickens uterus and cervical lining, causing difficulty in fertilization. Hence it helps in preventing pregnancy.
It is used for other purpose as well. It also treats mild acne in adult woman. Yaz, Yasmin is also used to treat the premenstrual dysphoric disorder (PMDD) symptoms. These symptoms can be anxiety, depression, irritability, lack of concentration, lack of energy etc. Sleep or appetite changes, tenderness in breast, joint or muscle pain, headache, and weight gain are other symptoms of PMDD.
Yaz, Yasmin can lead to birth defects in an unborn baby, if it is taken by a pregnant woman. Hence it is advisable to not use Yaz, Yasmin in pregnancy. A woman should avoid taking Yaz, Yasmin if she has a history of stroke or blood clot, circulation problems or a heart valve disorder. Breast or uterine cancer, abnormal vaginal bleeding, kidney or liver disease, an adrenal gland disorder are other conditions, when use of Yaz, Yasmin should be avoided. One should not take Yaz, Yasmin if one has severe high blood pressure, migraine headaches, or a history of jaundice caused by birth control pills.
Uses of Yaz, Yasmin
Yaz, Yasmin is used as contraceptive pill and it is also used to treat mild acne and premenstrual dysphoric disorder. It is manufactured by Bayer HealthCare Pharmaceuticals. Bayer also produces other contraceptive containing drospirenone, called Yasmin along with Yaz, Yasmin.
- Yaz, Yasmin is used to treat endometriosis. In this disease there is growth of cells outside the uterus. The cells that grow within a woman’s uterus also start growing on the outer wall of uterus and can spread in whole pelvic region. Yaz, Yasmin is used to treat this condition by stabilizing hormones in a woman’s body.
- Every woman experiences menopause or stoppage of menstrual cycle at the age of 40-50. Before menopause a woman’s body can take two to eight years to prepare for it. This condition is called perimenopause. In this period estrogen level fluctuates and this leads to highly irregular menstrual cycle. Yaz, Yasmin is used to treat this condition by regulating menstrual cycle.
- Yaz, Yasmin was approved for moderate acne treatment in adult women in 2007 by FDA. Sometimes acne is developed due to hormonal disturbances. In that case Yaz, Yasmin is used to treat mild or moderate acne by stabilizing hormone secretion in the body.
- Yaz, Yasmin is also used to treat premenstrual dysphoric disorder (PMDD). Some women have severe premenstrual syndrome (PMS). It can cause depression, migraine or other such conditions. Yaz, Yasmin is used to treat this condition, as these symptoms occur due to disturbed balance of hormones and Yaz, Yasmin stabilizes hormones in the body.
Women can experience nausea, vomiting, headaches or weight gain after taking Yaz, Yasmin. It is quite normal side effect of any birth control pill.
Precautions before taking Yaz-Yasmin
Some woman, may be allergic to drospirenone, they should not take Yaz, Yasmin. One should not take Yaz, Yasmin if one has uncontrolled high blood pressure, migraine headaches, or a heart valve disorder. In case of a history of stroke, blood clot, or circulation problems of diabetes, kidney or liver disease, adrenal gland disorder or unusual vaginal bleeding also Yaz, Yasmin should be avoided as it can worsen the condition. Women should also avoid Yaz, Yasmin, if they have any type of breast, uterine, or hormone-dependent cancer or a history of jaundice caused by birth control pills.
One should consult a doctor first before taking Yaz, Yasmin if following conditions persist.
- If you have high blood pressure or heart disease;
- If you have high cholesterol level
- If you are overweight;
- If you are suffering from liver cancer;
- If you have got any type of gallbladder disease;
- If you are a diabetic patient
- If you have suffered seizures or epilepsy
- If you have a history of depression, irregular menstrual cycles, or history of breast or uterine cancer.
FDA has put Yaz, Yasmin in pregnancy category X. it can cause severe birth defects in an unborn baby, if taken during pregnancy. It is advisable to consult a doctor, if a woman gets pregnant while taking Yaz, Yasmin. It is also advisable to not use Yaz, Yasmin while you are breast-feeding. It can harm infants, as it can be passed to them through mother’s milk. Drospirenone may raise potassium levels in your blood. You should also consult a doctor, if you experience any problem related to liver, kidney, or stomach while using Yaz, Yasmin.