Who can file a Bextra lawsuit
Bextra is the brand name for valdecoxib. It is an oral drug for treatment of pain. It is one of the NSAIDs. NSAIDs are nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs. It is used for treating pain, swelling, fever and tenderness, which is caused by arthritis. It acts by affecting production of prostaglandins. Prostaglandins are chemicals, which produce pain and swelling of joints in arthritis. It blocks one of enzyme responsible for production of prostaglandins. Thus pain and swelling of joints is reduced. It is also prescribed for menstrual cramps.
Risks associated with Bextra
Patients who have used Bextra have suffered various normal as well as fatal side effects. Some of the severe side effects of Bextra are as follows
- Heart attacks
- Blood clots
- Nonbacterial meningitis
- Stevens Johnson Syndrome
- Toxic epidermal necrolysis
- Stomach and intestinal bleeding
- Kidney damage leading to kidney failure
- Severe liver problems including hepatitis, jaundice and liver failure
- Allergic reactions such as skin rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; swelling of the lips, tongue or face
Why was Bextra recalled?
Bextra was reevaluated by FDA after Merck & Co. voluntarily withdrew its COX-2 drug Vioxx in September 2004. It was a result of a clinical study showing its relation to heart attack. The study on Bextra too revealed that risk factors of Bextra were overweighing the benefits of this drug. FDA requested Pfizer to recall Bextra from the market. Pfizer voluntarily withdrew Bextra on April 7, 2005.
The FDA considered following points before requesting Bextra withdrawal.
- The clinical data present was not sufficient for proving cardiovascular safety after long-term use of Bextra.
- The study revealed that the risk of cardiovascular problems increased in patients, who were using Bextra.
- Bextra had displayed severe allergic reactions such as skin reactions, Steven Johnson’s Syndrome and toxic epidermal necrolysis in many cases. It has also not shown any additional benefit if compared to other drugs of its class.
Basis of Bextra lawsuits
Pfizer advertised Bextra as a miracle pain reliever. Through aggressive advertising, it misguided public about safety aspect of Bextra. Recall of Vioxx also triggered demand for Bextra recall, as it was same class drug producing similar fatal side effects. Pfizer was aware of risks associated with use of Bextra but failed to inform public about it.
Who Can File a Bexta Lawsuit?
Any person who has suffered a side effect due to use of Bextra or have any relative or friends who have died due to side effects of Bextra can file a lawsuit against Pfizer claiming compensation and medical expenses.
How to File a Bextra Lawsuit?
If you are eligible to file a Bextra lawsuit then you should find a good attorney to file your case. Try to find a lawyer who has prior experience of handling Bextra lawsuit. You have to follow the procedure of law as prevailing in your state.
You can file an individual lawsuit or can join a class action lawsuit. Your lawyer will design your case after taking into consideration that when and how long you took Bextra and in what dosage, regularity of intake and injury suffered by you.