Accidents happen, and mostly because of human negligence. There are so many things that can go wrong at home if we are not careful and organized. If we make a list of common household equipment and appliances, it is going to be a long and elaborate one. Live wires, fuels,

inflammable objects, sharp tools  are some of the things that cause home hazards and accidental fires. Unfortunately, some people realize it only after thing go wrong.

Fire and burn injuries can be prevented by practicing good housekeeping. Some tips to help you with are given below:

  • Turn off all burners/ovens when not in use.
  • Keep appliances unplugged when not in use.
  • Keep Lighters and Matchboxes out of kids reach.
  • Cover all electrical outlets with child safety covers.
  • Don’t keep fireplaces open.
  • Use irons with care.
  • Use properly insulated mitts.
  • Lower your water heater’s thermostat to prevent scald burns.
  • Never leave stirring utensils in the pot.
  • Handles of pots and pans should not stick out over the stove edge.
  • Use kitchen pots with two handles.
  • Keep children away while cooking and deep frying.
  • Handle hot beverages carefully.
  • Do not hold your child and cook.
  • Food heated in microwave Owens can cause burn injuries. Test it before serving.
  • Before giving a bath to your kid check the temperature.
  • Check smoke detector batteries and replace often.
  • Dispose smoking materials and cigarette buds properly as they cause many fire accidents.
  • Keep chemicals, solvents and cleaners in a secured place.
  • Don’t allow children to play near barbecues or open grills.
  • Encourage use of flashlights instead of candles.
  • Keep coin-sized button batteries out of kids reach. They pose a high level of danger.
  • More burn injuries are reported during holiday season.
  • Keep a fire extinguisher within easy reach.
  • Avoid using gel fuel candles.
  • Avoid using table cloths when you have children at home.
  • Teach children to wear shoes when they go out in summer.
  • Do not let your child use fireworks.