stone is a solid mass of material that forms in a kidney. They are formed by the salt deposits and other minerals present in the urine. The size of stone may vary from a tiny sand particle to a golf ball. Many of the times people don’t know that they have stones. The stone can block the urine flow and hence cause extreme pain. Larger stones may get stuck in a ureter, bladder, or urethra. The most common types of kidney stones found are calcium and oxalate stones. The other types of stones are Uric acid stones, Struvite stones, and Cystine stones. The most common cause of kidney stone is drinking less water and juices. If you have kidney stone once, you are more likely to have them again. If you a history of stones, it is important to find the type of stone to make dietary adjustments and thus prevent forming of stones. The risk of kidney stones in men is four times higher than women. People who have family history of stones are more likely to have stones.
The most common symptom of a kidney stone is pain in the abdomen. Other symptoms are blood in urine, burning sensation while passing urine, change of urine color, nausea, vomiting, and back pain. The chances of kidney stones have increased manifold due to the modern lifestyle and dietary habits. Some of the tips for preventing and dissolving the stones are:
- Drink plenty of water, at least 10-12 glasses.
- Drink fresh lemon juice everyday.
- Reduce calcium intake.
- Reduce salt and salty food intake.
- Avoid excessive sugar.
- Reduce animal protein.
- Avoid foods with oxalates like sodas, colas, teas, beet, and chocolates.
- Eat lots of fresh fruits and vegetables.
- Drink cranberry juice.
- Exercise, regularly.
- Eat a balanced diet and avoid taking food supplements.
- Increase fiber in your diet.
- Limit the amount of spices in your food.
- Reduce your weight as obesity increases the risk of stone.
- Reduce stress.
- Have a good sleep.
If the pain persists it is advisable to see your doctor. Untreated kidney stones can create several complications and may require surgery.