Side Effects of Zoloft
Zoloft is an antidepressant drug. Zoloft is manufactured by the pharmaceutical giant Pfizer. It is used for treatment of depression or other such disorders. Zoloft works by restoring the balance of serotonin in the brain, which helps to treat different mood or stress related disorders. It is used for following purposes. It is also used for treatment of obsessive-compulsive disorder or OCD, panic disorder or post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), another stress related disorder, social anxiety and premenstrual dysphoric disorder (PMDD). Doctors prescribe it for other mood related or stress related disorders.
Side effects of Zoloft
Zoloft could cause many side effects. Some of these side effects are common but some of them could pose severe health problems. Some patients may not feel any side effect or may have minor side effects, while some could have serious side effects.
Less serious side effects of Zoloft
Zoloft could produce following common side effects, which may subside after a while and are not able to pose risk to the health.
- Dizziness or Drowsiness
- Decreased sexual desire
- Loss of appetite
- Nausea or Vomiting
- Upset stomach
- Sleeping disorders
- Weight loss
- Impotence or difficulty in orgasm.
Severe Side Effects of Zoloft
Zoloft could also cause several severe side effects, which could lead to serous health issues.
- It could produce allergic reactions such as rash, hives, itching, breathing problem, tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue etc.
- It could also lead to black or bloody stools and decreased bladder control.
- It also affects concentration and coordination. It decreases them.
- It can also cause irregular heartbeats or exaggerated reflexes.
- Hallucinations, memory loss, panic attacks, aggressiveness, impulsiveness and irritability are other side effects of Zoloft.
- It could lead to birth defects if taken during pregnancy. These birth defects include Persistent Pulmonary Hypertension in Newborn, Anal atresia (complete or partial closure of the anus), Ventricular Septal Defect (VSD), Cleft lip and cleft palate, Spinal bifida, Cardiac (heart) defects, Atrial Septal Defect (ASD), Pulmonary Stenosis, Pulmonary (lung) defects, Club foot, Infant omphalocele and Neural-tube defects.
- It could cause stiffness in muscles.
- It could lead to fever and tremors.
- It could cause worsening abdominal problems.
- Other severe side effects of Zoloft include hostility, mania, restlessness or other mood disorders.
- Severe or persistent headache or stomach pain could also result due to use of Zoloft.
- Redness, swelling, blistering or peeling of skin is another side effect of this drug.
- Patients may have suicidal thoughts or attempts as a severe side effect of this drug.
- Some patients may experience unusual bruising or bleeding.
- It can also affect vision and ear in the adverse way.
- It could worsen depression.
- It could arouse suicidal thoughts in children and teenagers, if they are treated with this medicine for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder.
It is advisable to call a doctor immediately if any of these severe side effects occurs. You should immediately seek medical help if you feel anything unusual while taking Zoloft.