Side Effects of Cimzia
Cimzia is a TNF blocker. It is used to treat inflammation in Crohn’s disease. In Crohn’s disease the digestive tract becomes inflamed and adversely affects the gastrointestinal tract. It is also used to reduce or prevent inflammation in rheumatoid arthritis. It blocks TNF and reduces or prevents destruction of joints. Cimzia was approved in April 2008 by U.S. Food and Drug Administration. It is being investigated for the potential risk of cancer as well as the risk of developing life-threatening infections.
Side Effects Of Cimzia
Cimzia has been linked to cancer. Use of Cimzia has been associated with serious risk associated with developing cancer. Use of Cimzia could cause many common as well as serious side effects.
Common Side Effects of Cimzia
Cimzia can cause many common side effects after use such as
- Abdominal pain
- Upper respiratory infection
- Allergic reactions on the injection area
- Stuffy nose
- Sinus pain
- Pain, redness, itching, swelling, or bleeding at the place of injection
If any of these common side effects worsen or any of these conditions persist, it is advisable to seek medical help immediately.
Serious side effects of Cimzia
Cimzia use can lead to many serious or life threatening side effects. Some of these serious side effects are as follows
- Use of Cimzia can produce severe allergic reactions such as hives, difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Sweating, chills and tired feeling
- Feeling short of breath
- Cough, sore throat; or flu symptoms
- Weight loss
- Shortness of breath with swelling of your ankles or feet
- Chest pain, ongoing cough, coughing up blood or mucus
- Swollen glands in neck, armpits, or groin
- Easy bruising or bleeding, pale skin, unusual weakness
- Fast or slow heart rate
- Pain or burning while urinating
- Seizure or convulsions
- Severe blistering, peeling, and red skin rash
- Vision problems
- Dizziness, numbness or tingly feeling
- Muscle weakness in arms or legs
- Joint pain or swelling with fever
- Unusual thoughts or behavior
- Patchy skin color, red spots, or a butterfly-shaped skin rash over cheeks and nose, which worsens in sunlight
- It can also cause or worsen congestive heart failure.
- It may worsen or cause new diseases of the nervous system
- It may also cause reduced levels of platelets and red blood cells in the blood
- Unusual vaginal discharge
- White patches in the mouth (oral thrush).
Cimzia can produce many severe side effects. Some of them are even life threatening. It is advisable to seek medical help immediately if any of these side effects occur. It is also associated with the risk of developing cancer, so it is advisable to consult a doctor before using it.
You should tell your doctor if you are suffering from any disease or using any other medicine before starting use of Cimzia. You must also consult your doctor if you have any allergies or lupus, diabetes, HIV/AIDS, hepatitis B, a seizure disorder, congestive heart failure, a history of cancer, or a disease that affects the nerves or muscles. It can lower the count of blood cells thus makes you more prone to infections. It is advisable to avoid contact with persons suffering from any type of infection.
Avoid vaccination while taking this drug. This drug may increase risk of developing certain types of cancer such as lymphoma (cancer of the lymph nodes) or autoimmune disorders (such as a lupus-like syndrome). Discuss about it with your doctor. Avoid this drug while being pregnant, trying to be pregnant or breast-feeding.