Side effects of Bextra
Bextra is the brand name for valdecoxib. It is an oral drug for treatment of pain. It is used for treating pain, swelling, fever and tenderness, which is caused by arthritis. It acts by affecting production of prostaglandins. Prostaglandins are chemicals, which produce pain and swelling of joints in arthritis. It blocks one of enzyme responsible for production of prostaglandins. Thus pain and swelling of joints is reduced. It is also prescribed for menstrual cramps.
Side Effects Of Bextra
Bextra can relieve arthritis pain but can result into many side effects. Some of them are quite serious ones.
- Use of Bextra can result into fluid retention. This slows the action of diuretics and can lead to retention of water in the body.
- One of the most common side effects of Bextra is headache.
- Abdominal pain, diarrhea, gas, upset stomach and other abdominal problems could follow after the use of Bextra.
- You can also feel nausea and flatulence after using Bextra.
- Other side effect of Bextra is insomnia. Patients using these drugs have difficulty in sleeping.
- Its use can also cause upper respiratory tract infection.
- Its use can cause eye problems such as blurred vision and photosensitivity.
- Patients using Bextra can also experience depression.
- Other serious side effect related to Bextra is heart related problems. It can lead to chest pain, rapid heart rate and even heart attack.
- It can also lead to yellowing of the eyes or skin.
- Some patients have fainting feeling after use of this drug.
- Aggravated hypertension, anxiety are other side effects of this drug.
- Vomiting and nausea are one of the common side effects of this drug.
- In some cases patients feel flu-like symptoms such as fever, drowsiness and weakness.
- It can cause fatigue, easy bleeding or bruising.
- It can result into sever kidney problems including kidney failure
- Its other side effects are dark urine, light-colored bowel movements.
- It can also cause muscle or joint pain.
- Weight gain is another side effect of this drug.
- Some patients may develop Allergic reactions such as skin rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; swelling of the lips, tongue or face; or other symptoms of an allergic reaction after using this drug.
- In some of the rare cases it has resulted in stomach and intestinal bleeding.
- Severe liver problems including hepatitis, jaundice and liver failure are other rare side effects, which have been reported.
You should consult your doctor if any of these side effects occur. Immediately seek medical help in case of serious side effects. It is advisable to consult your doctor in following conditions before taking Bextra.
- If you are a smoker
- If you are a drinker of alcohol
- If you have any allergy to sulfa drugs
- If you have any blood disorder or using any medicine for such disorder
- If you are having any steroid drug
- If you are suffering from high blood pressure
- If you are suffering from any heart disease
- If you are suffering from an ulcer or bleeding in the stomach
- If you have any liver disease
- If you have any kidney disease
- If you have problem of asthma
- If you have undergone bypass heart surgery
- If you are already suffering from fluid retention
The doctor may change your doses or monitor you regularly while using this drug. He may even ask you to stop this medicine. You should also consult your doctor before taking Bextra in pregnancy or while breast-feeding. Other factor to be consulted to your doctor is your age. If you are more than 65 years, tell your doctor, he may adjust your dose accordingly as chances of its side effects are higher in old age.