Seroquel is an oral drug containing quetiapine as main active ingredient. It is used for treatment of Schizophrenia. It is only used in adults or children older than 13 years. Doctors prescribe Seroquel for treatment of bipolar disorder or manic depression in children above 10 years and adults. It is also used with other antidepressant drugs. Doctors prescribe it for other purposes as well.
Seroquel contains quetiapine as main active ingredient. It is quetiapine fumarate. It belongs to dibenzothiazepine derivatives. Its chemical name is 2-[2-(4-dibenzo [b,f] [1,4]thiazepin-11-yl-1piperazinyl)ethoxy]-ethanol fumarate (2:1). Its chemical formula is C42H50N6O4S2•C4H4O4. Its molecular weight is 883.11. its structural formula is as follows-
It is white to off-white powder with crystalline nature. It is slightly soluble in water.
Uses of Seroquel
Seroquel is used for treatment of Schizophrenia. It is an anti psychotic drug and changes chemical actions in the brain to treat mental disorder. It is used in adults and children above 13 years.
Another use of Seroquel is for treatment of bipolar disorder or maniac depression in adults and children above 10 years.
Doctors prescribe it along with other antidepressants to treat depression related disorders in only adults.
Seroquel XR is only meant for patients above 18 years. It is Extended-release quetiapine or Seroquel. It could harm children.
Seroquel is also used for other purposes, which are not listed in medical guide of the medicine.
Precautions before Using Seroquel
Following precautions should be taken before using Seroquel.
- Stick to the recommended dosages as an overdose of Seroquel could cause movement disorders, which could not be treated.
- It should not be used if patient’s psychotic condition is caused due to dementia. If used in such condition, it could cause heart failure, pneumonia or even death.
- You should consult your doctor before using this drug if you are suffering from any liver disease.
- You should consult your doctor before using this drug if you are suffering from any kidney disease.
- You should consult your doctor before using this drug if you are suffering from any heart disease.
- Tell your doctor if you have any type of heart rhythm problem or history of heart problems including heart attack.
- Tell your doctor before using this drug if you have high blood pressure.
- Tell your doctor before using this drug if you have history of stroke.
- Consult your doctor before going for this drug if you are suffering or suffered from low white blood cell (WBC) counts.
- You should tell your doctor if you have a thyroid disorder, before using this drug.
- If you are suffering or suffered from seizures or epilepsy, it is advisable to talk to your doctor before using this drug.
- It should be avoided if you are suffering from cataracts.
- It should be avoided in case of high cholesterol or triglycerides.
- If you have a family or personal history of diabetes, consult your doctor before going for this medicine.
- Take medical help if you develop very stiff muscles, high fever, sweating, confusion, fast or uneven heartbeats, tremors or uncontrolled muscle movements while using this drug.
- If you feel light-headed or suffer blurred vision, eye pain, while using this drug immediately seek medical assistance.
- Other alarming conditions while using this drug are increased thirst and urination, excessive hunger, fruity breath odor, weakness, nausea and vomiting.
- Immediately call your doctor if you experience any mood or behavior changes, anxiety, panic attacks and irritation while using this drug.
- You should call your doctor if you are facing trouble in sleeping or aggressiveness or restlessness while using this drug.
- If you experience agitation, hostility, hyper activeness, impulsiveness or depression while using this drug, you should consult your doctor.
- Tell your doctor if you develop suicidal thoughts.
- To make sure you can safely take Seroquel, tell your doctor if you have any of these other conditions:
- Avoid using Seroquel if you are pregnant or trying to be pregnant as its harm to unborn child is not known yet.
- Avoid using this drug if you are breast-feeding as it could harm your child.
- Tell your doctor immediately if you get pregnant while using this drug.
- Tell your doctor if you are allergic to any of its ingredients or have any other allergy.
- Tell your doctor before using this drug if you are taking any other medicine.
- Consult your doctor before using any other medicine while using Seroquel.
- Avoid activities such as driving, using machinery while using this drug as it could cause drowsiness.
- Avoid alcohol while using this drug.
- Avoid exposure to high heat while using this drug as it could expose you to risk of heat stroke.
- Tell your doctor before going for surgery if you are using Seroquel.
- Tell your doctor before using this drug if you are suffering from low levels of potassium or magnesium in your blood.