According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention every year nearly 80 people succumb to poisoning which can be easily avoided. To do that, all you need is a bit of awareness and follow some simple safety precautions. Medicines, cosmetics, hair dyes, house plants, pesticides and chemical cleaners are a major source and reason for Child poisoning at home. About 80% of all poisonings are in kids between the ages of 1 and 5.
  • Always store pesticides in secured cabinets.
  • Never use pesticides or leave them unattended when kids or their toys are around.
  • Educate your kids about the dangers of poisoning.
  • Don’t keep food items near any of the chemicals or cosmetics in your house.
  • Always use child-resistant packaging.
  • Use child safety locks on cabinets that store Medicines, Cosmetics and chemicals.
  • Keep all the medicines away and stashed in a secured place.
  • Avoid taking medicines in front of kids as they are fascinated by them.
  • Take medicine only as prescribed by your doctor.
  • Keep all products in their original containers.
  • Do not keep chemicals containers without labels.
  • Keep cosmetics, toiletries, nail polish, deodorants away from kids.
  • Keep alcohol in locked cabinets.
  • Keep mouthwash away from kids as they are not at all meant for them.
  • Don’t use paints with lead.
  • Don’t keep roach baits and rat poisons on the floor.
  • Discard silica gel packets that come with some products.
  • Discard used button cell batteries.
  • Install carbon monoxide alarms and ensure they are in working condition.
  • Keep furnaces, fireplaces, and wood-burning stoves in good condition and have them inspected by technicians.
  • Some indoor plants like Oleander, Poison Ivy, Mistletoe, Hyacinth, Crotons, and Daffodils are poisonous.
  • Never leave your car or vehicle running in your garage.
  • Be vigilant and try childproofing your home as much as possible.
  • Ask your kids to wash their hands and face regularly.
  • In case of any poisoning stay calm and immediately seek medical attention or call National Poison Control Center (1-800-222-1222)
  • If the skin comes in contact with poison, immediately wash the area with soap and warm water.
  • If any toxic substance gets into the eyes, flush the victim’s eyes with warm water for 5-10 minutes.
  • If some inhales poison or toxic fumes, take the victim out in the open for fresh air.