Because Mexico is located close to both the United States and Canada, it has been a destination for medical tourism for many years. It was, and still is, a preferred destination of Americans due to the low-cost of medical treatments and medical facilities.
Mexico is most a popular medical tourism destination for dental surgeries, cosmetic surgeries, orthopedic and weight loss surgeries. U.S. citizens, who live close to the Mexican border, can travel across the border and receive inexpensive dental or cosmetic surgery and are back across the border that night. Another option is to take advantage of a health care clinic’s ‘after treatment packages’ which allow patients to stay at a resort near the ocean while they heal from treatments and minor surgeries.
In addition to the low cost of procedures and treatments, Mexico is also known for its alternative treatments such as homeopath and Reiki as well as a drastic reduction in the cost of prescription drugs.
Benefits of Mexico Medical Tourism
- Low cost medical treatments at top-notch hospitals are available to medical tourists from all over the world. Even with the cost of both travel and accommodations, the total cost is typically lower than staying at home and using insurance.
- Mexico’s well trained, well qualified medical professionals offer the highest quality of care.
- Doctors in Mexico provide quality time with patients and rush you through appointments and procedures.
- Hospitals in Mexico have highly qualified nursing who are well trained and very professional.
- The high international standard of safety and hygiene is upheld in the Mexican medical field – including doctor’s offices and hospitals.
- Many of the doctor’s in Mexico speak English. However, if you require a language interpreter, arrangements can be made for one.
- Medical Tourists are not made to wait for surgeries. Mexico has many multi-specialty hospitals.
- Some of the hospitals in Mexico take the responsibility of making comfortable arrangements for relatives that accompany patients.
- The travel time and distance from both the United States and Canada is comparatively less than other countries for medical tourists.
- Some medical institutes in Mexico are located close to the border of Texas and California, which allows residents of these states to return home the evening of their procedure.
- The wonderful climate of Mexico helps the medical tourists to recover quickly.
Things to keep in mind
- As always, when traveling, take precautions for your safety.
- Malpractice laws in Mexico are not as strong as the laws found in the United States or Canada.
- Check with your insurance company – procedures and surgeries may or may not be covered if you use a Mexican doctor or hospital.
- Don’t take valuables with you on your trip, only take what is necessary.
- Take someone with you on the trip, and don’t go anywhere alone when out of our native country.
- Though US dollars are accepted in Mexico, but it would be safe to carry pesos so as to give tips or buy small things.
- Don’t forget to carry your passport along with you and also keep it safe.
Other Popular Medical Tourism Destinations: