Kiwi is a commonly used fruit and is often used in recipes and also to make medicines. The fruit or root extracts are specifically used to make medicine in most cases. Kiwi has several health benefits.
Benefits of Kiwi
- Kiwi is considered to be a source of various important minerals and vitamins and is essential for the normal functioning of the body.
- It is especially high in Vitamin C content and can help improve eyesight if consumed regularly. It is said that the Vitamin C content found in Kiwis is higher than what is found in Oranges.
- It is also high in Potassium and has a high amount of Beta-Carotene.
- It helps in the treatment of asthma and related breathing problems and helps improve the general functioning of the respiratory tract system.
- It can reduce health infections like wheezing especially in children.
- It can help treat several blood problems and improve cell growth.
- It is also a natural anti-oxidant that improves blood flow and general health.
- It is considered useful in the treatment of blood sugar diseases also but should be consumed with other medicines for maximum benefits.
- Kiwi if consumed as a fruit regularly can help prevent several common diseases like the flu, fever, cold and cough.
- The special flavonoids in Kiwis help protect the cells from oxidative damage. This eventually helps protect the DNA from severe mutation and damage.
- It is also beneficial in protecting the body from free radicals.
- It can protect the body from a range of cardiovascular problems and cancer related symptoms too.
- Kiwis have a high fiber content and therefore helps in the treatment of digestive tract diseases and diabetes to a certain extent.
Tips and Warnings
- Not many people suffer from Kiwi food allergies. If Kiwi is used in food in small quantities it is considered safe for most people.
- However, if people are allergic to Kiwi, it can cause allergic reactions such as trouble swallowing. Some people may suffer from vomiting or severe hives too.
- Overconsumption may cause severe indigestion or related diseases.
- Kiwi should not be used in cooking all the time; it may affect the body’s immune system. However, small quantities are considered ideal for normal use.
- If you are allergic to latex then it is best to avoid taking Kiwi.
- Pregnant women and those who are nursing newborn babies should consume Kiwi with caution or under strict supervision. Although Kiwi is considered safe for young children too, medical supervision is advisable.
- People suffering from stomach ailments should limit consumption of Kiwi until they recover completely.
- When used as a medicine it is safer to have it along with a meal.
- Kiwi has a high content of Actinic and bromic acids.
- They tend to spoil easily. If consumed when even slightly rotten it can lead to several digestive problems.
- If people suffer from peanut, milk or egg allergies then it is advisable for them to also avoid consuming Kiwi in any form.