Coenzyme Q10 is a substance similar to normal vitamins and is naturally found in the human body, especially in the liver, heart, kidney and pancreas. When people consume meat and seafood, they benefit by receiving small quantities of Coenzyme Q10. Coenzyme Q10 can also be made in laboratories synthetically. It is often used as a medicine to treat various health problems and diseases.
Functions of Coenzyme Q10
- Coenzyme Q10 can help in the treatment of problems related to Coenzyme Q10 deficiency.
- It is effective in the treatment of Mitochondrial disorders.
- It helps generate energy in every cell tissue of the body.
- It can also be used in the treatment of inherited disorders that limit the production of energy in the cells.
- It can help in the treatment of several heart diseases and especially Congestive Heart Failure.
- It is useful in treating several types of muscular dystrophy.
- It is useful in the treatment of periodontal diseases.
- It is useful in preventing the side effects of toxic drugs.
- It protects the body from cellular damage.
- It can help prevent the occurrence of a second heart attack in heart sensitive patients.
- It can also help prevent blood vessel related complications arising due to recent heart bypass surgery.
- It can be used in the treatment of blood pressure problems.
- It can help treat and prevent migraine problems and attacks.
- It can help delay or improve the symptoms of Parkinsonâ€™s disease. However for maximum benefit it should be taken during the early stages of the disease.
- It helps improve the functions of the immune system in people suffering from HIV or Aids.
- It is also effective in the treatment of Muscular dystrophy an inherited muscle wasting disorder.
- It is also beneficial in dental treatments when applied to the teeth or gums.
- It is sometimes considered useful in balancing blood sugar levels in people.
- It can help people with breast cancer experience pain relief.
- It is useful in the treatment of chronic fatigue and other related problems.
- It is useful in acting as an anti-aging supplement too.
Tips and Warnings
- Coenzyme Q10 is considered safe for most people.
- However, constant use may cause certain side effects in people.
- Some of the common side effects include stomach upset, loss of appetite, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, etc.
- Some people or children are said to have suffered to severe allergic reactions or skin rashes.
- It should be had with extreme caution if a patient suffers from low blood pressure problems.
- It helps to consume small medicinal quantities of Coenzyme Q10 at a time. Large quantities may lead to side effects.
- If recommended to children, it should be had only under strict medical supervision.
- Coenzyme Q10 should be consumed in smaller quantities by pregnant women and those nursing infants. It can be harmful to the fetus or newborn baby.