Celery is a green plant often used in several recipes around the world. It has several health benefits. Furthermore, the fruit and seeds of the plant are often used to make medicine.
Functions of Celery
- Celery is often used around the world as a vegetable. If eaten raw it is said to have several health benefits.
- It is rich in several vitamins namely, Vitamin A, Vitamin B1, Vitamin B2, Vitamin B6 and Vitamin C. It is also a significant source of important minerals like folic acid, magnesium, iron, phosphorous, sodium etc.
- The leaves are strong in flavor and are often used to flavor broths or stews and soups.
- The oil extracted from the plant is commonly used for pharmaceutical purposes. It is also widely used in the perfume industry.
- In cooking, it can also be used as a spice.
- Celery salt is used as a seasoning in drinks and cocktails or foods.
- It is often the base of various dressings and soups.
- It can lower blood pressure or regularize it.
- Celery is also beneficial in lowering body pain.
- It is effective in lowering blood pressure and is useful in the treatment of blood flow and circulatory related problems too.
- It can help balance the body’s PH levels thereby neutralizing acidity.
- It is effective in replacing electrolytes and is therefore beneficial to athletes.
- It provides great relief from any kind of inflammation and swelling.
- Celery helps promote normal functioning of the kidney.
- It has a calming effect on the nervous system and can be used as a natural medicine to heal sleeping disorders.
- Celery can be used to lose weight or as a dietary fiber to improve the functioning of the digestive system. It is also useful in treating severe or chronic constipation.
- Celery also contains high amounts of Protein and Fat.
- Celery also has great anti-inflammatory benefits.
- Celery is also considered to be effective in increasing stamina and energy levels.
- It is also beneficial in helping people lose weight.
- It is extremely beneficial during summers because of its high water content.
- Celery also has several anti-oxidant properties.
- It helps protect the body cells from oxygen damage.
- Celery can help reduce fluid retention problems in the body.
- It also helps decrease or reduce arthritis symptoms in patients.
- Celery is useful in reducing blood sugar levels too.
- It can also help as a muscle relaxant or decrease blood clotting problems.
Tips and Warnings
- Celery may cause sensitivity to the sun.
- The leaves of the plant should not be consumed by pregnant women or nursing mothers.
- If you suffer from a kidney condition it is safer to avoid Celery completely.
- If you are allergic to peanuts, carrots, dandelions or other related herbs then it is safer to avoid consuming Celery too.
- Celery is often used to increase sleepiness, it is therefore not advisable to consume celery or medicines with Celery if you are due for surgery in a couple of weeks.