A blueberry is a wonder fruit from a shrub. They have a dark blue, maroon or black purple color. It has a white gray wax bloom protection over them. They belong to a healthy family of cranberries and bilberry. They are rich in anti-oxidants thus, it slows the aging process and lessens the cell damage that can lead to cancer.
Benefits of blueberries
Blueberries are not only good to taste but, also provide wonderful health benefits.
Build a strong immune system: It is rich in antioxidants such as vitamin C, vitamin A, vitamin E, anthocyanin, copper and iron. These antioxidants help to build a strong immune system by preventing infection. Iron helps to increase immunity by increasing hemoglobin and oxygen level in the blood. A stronger immune system protects you from flu, cold, pox and other viral and bacterial infections.
Slow the process of ageing: The anthocyanin antioxidant is responsible for slowing the process of ageing and it also neutralizes the free radical which can cause infection. Due to the presence of anthocyanin the blueberry also gets its blue color.
Reduces belly fat: Though it is not much proven but, experiment shows that it helps in reduction of belly fat and also improves glucose and insulin level.
Promote urinary health: Blueberries have a compound formed of big polymer like heavy molecules which helps in the prevention of bacteria that causes urinary problems like inflammation and burning sensations during passage of urine.
Improve vision: Presence of anthocyanosides in blueberry helps to slow down the process of vision loss. They can also protect from diseases which occur with age like cataract, myopia, hypermetropia, muscular degeneration, dryness and infections related to the retina.
Brain Health: As blueberry is rich in vitamins, nutrients and mineral it helps to prevent and heal neurotic disorders like degeneration and death of neurons and brain cells. It helps to restore the health of the central nervous system. The amazing nutrients of blueberry can even help in curing Alzheimers diseases to a great extent. They even help in keeping memory sharp for a longer time.
Healthy heart: Presence of high fiber, antioxidants and ability to dissolve bad cholesterol helps in maintaining a healthy heart. It also strengthens the cardiac muscles.
Improve digestion and constipation: The fiber content in blueberries helps to improve constipation. The presence of vitamins, copper and acid help for digestion.
Miscellaneous: It is an anti-depressant and keeps you fit and active.
Nutritional facts of Blueberry
- Blueberry is rated as highest among the fruits like Raspberry for presence of antioxidants.
- They are low in calorie; 100g of blueberry consists of 57 calories.
- The phytochemical compound helps to get rid of harmful oxygen-derived free radicals, which help us against cancer, degenerative diseases, ageing and infections.
- The presence of chlorogenic acid helps in maintaining lower blood sugar and also controls the glucose level in diabetes condition.
- They contain vitamins like Vitamin A, Vitamin C and Vitamin E, the combination of them works as an antioxidants.
- They also contain B-complex group of vitamins.
- It contains mineral like potassium, manganese, iron, zinc and copper.
Tips and Warnings
- The darker the color of blueberry the more it is rich in anti-oxidants and medicinal values.
- Don’t select blueberry which is dull, soft and watery in texture.
- If you buy frozen blueberry make sure to shake them to see if they move freely, otherwise it might be possible that they are thawed or refrozen.
- The blueberry contains salicylate acid, which can have an allergic reaction in persons intolerable to salicylate.
- Go for organic blueberries to avoid toxicity from pesticides.
- If you are on anti-diabetic medication then you should consult doctor for intake of blueberry as it can lead to very low blood sugar level.