Avelox Side Effects
Avelox belongs to the fluoroquinolones class of antibiotics. It helps to fight bacterial infections in the body and has not known to cause a lot of side effects. However drug’s response is different in each patient’s case and any kind of discomforts should always be consulted with the doctor.
Minor Side Effects:
The most common side effects occurring because of Avelox can be as listed below:
- Insomnia or nightmares or other sleep related issues.
- Throwing up.
- Blurred vision
- Feelings of anxiety, nervousness, or agitation
- Mild irritation in the skin like itching
Major Side Effects:
If any of the below mentioned side effects occur in severity after the administration of Avelox, one should seek immediate medical attention:
- Severe allergic reactions, which can be:
- Breathlessness or shortness of breath or trouble breathing
- Swelling of either the mouth, face, lips or tongue
- Stools that are bloody or tarry
- Burning, numbness, tightening, pain or weakness of the arms, hands, legs or feet
- Chest pain
- Change in the color or pattern of the urine or skin
- Fever accompanied with chills or unusual cough
- Hallucinations, confusion, depression, unexplained change in the thought process.
- Problems pertaining to joint or tendon area like, inability to move, pain, soreness, redness, swelling, weakness or bruising.
- Change in the pattern of heart beat.
- Pain or swelling in or near the joints especially in arms or ankles.
12. Sunburns either moderate or severe
13. Severe mood swings like anxiety, agitation, depression, nervousness, sleeplessness
14. Stomach related discomforts like stomach pains or stomach cramps
15. Unexplained weakness
16. Vaginal yeast infection
The above list may not be an exhaustive list of all the side effects that the drug may cause. Hence it is always advisable to consult with the physicians all and any kind of discomforts that a person may suffer post taking Avelox.
Though rare, but Avelox has also been known to cause tendon damage. The people at a higher risk of developing tendon damage after taking Avelox are:
» Over the age of 60 years
» Are taking any type of corticosteroids
» Have had a kidney, lung or heart transplant
So if after taking moxifloxacin, one experiences pain or swelling of joints or muscles or tendon, then this medicine should be stopped immediately and seek medical help at once.
Avelox should not be recommended to people suffering from
» Myasthenia Gravis– The symptoms that may indicate that the health is deteriorating are weakness or troubled breathing.
» Heart related problems like:
- Problem of Inadequate blood flow to the heart muscle
- Rapid or slow heartbeat
- Abnormal rhythm
» Liver related problems like:
- Hardening of the liver
- Hepatitis caused by drugs
- Abnormal liver function tests
» Kidney Transplant
» Severe bloody diarrhea due to antibiotics
» Low potassium levels in the blood.
In case one is suffering from any of the ailments mentioned above, and is still prescribed Avelox, then the benefit should outweigh the risks involved and a practitioner should definitely be consulted before taking this medicine.