Asparagus is a popular dietary plant, parts of which are often used as seasoning or in recipes. The shoots, rhizome and root of the plant are used to make a wide variety of medicines.
Functions of Asparagus
- Asparagus has several beneficial vitamins and minerals that helps in the normal functioning of the body.
- Asparagus is a great natural anti-oxidant. If consumed regularly it can help protect the body against various diseases.
- Asparagus is also considered to be a natural anti-aging element.
- It is often used to treat urinary tract and related diseases.
- People with bladder and kidney stones are often advised to eat Asparagus because it helps remove the stones.
- It also helps in the treatment of arthritis related pains and swelling.
- Asparagus acts as a good hormonal balancer in females.
- It helps treat dry throat and lungs, especially during winter months.
- Asparagus is also useful in the treatment of folic acid deficiency.
- It can help treat constipation and some other similar stomach or digestive tract diseases and problems.
- It can help in the treatment of nerve inflammation and swelling too. It is also useful in reducing pain in the body.
- Asparagus is a famous aphrodisiac too.
- It is also effective in the treatment of parasitic diseases.
- It can help in the treatment or prevention of certain types of cancer.
- It can help improve acne and skin conditions in people.
- It can help prevent kidney stones too.
- It is beneficial as a facial cleanser and can be used naturally to cleanse facial or sensitive skin.
- It has a cooling effect and can help improve body temperatures during extreme summer months.
- Asparagus can also help increase urine production.
- It is a good source of dietary fiber, vitamin C, vitamin E, vitamin B6 and several other minerals.
- It is also considered to be a good source of Potassium.
- Regular consumption of Asparagus can also help strengthen bones and prevent the onset of osteoporosis and related diseases.
- Regular consumption of Asparagus can help prevent birth defects in babies, it is therefore recommended to women who are planning to have babies.
- Asparagus is considered beneficial in reducing heart problems in people suffering from them. It can also be used to prevent heart conditions in people.
Tips and Warnings
- Asparagus when consumed through food is considered safe for most people. Very rarely do people suffer from allergies related to Asparagus.
- If people do suffer from allergies after consuming Asparagus they may experience symptoms like itching, facial swelling, nausea, vomiting or diarrhea. In most cases, by discontinuing consumption health conditions usually improve.
- It is not advisable for patient’s in sensitive conditions to consume Asparagus. Pregnant women and breastfeeding women should avoid Asparagus.
- People with kidney disease should avoid Asparagus too.
- If you are allergic to onions, leeks, garlic and chives then it is safe to avoid Asparagus too.